Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chapter 1--NeighBOR Amanda

The green couch was one of three pieces of furniture still left in the house that night. I was sitting on it, tears streaming down my face, when Amanda brought me a glass of very old wine that Chelsea had left in the refrigerator. She sat down beside me and we both took a drink and then immediately spit it out and started laughing. Neither of us even liked wine at that time.
“It just seemed appropriate,” she said.

It was the evening after graduation and Chelsea had already packed her things and moved out for the second and final time. Everyone else had pretty much gone home for the summer. I had already moved all of my things into my parent’s house and was ready to leave for Croatia in just two days.
It hit me then that it was really over. This time we were all really moving and never coming back to that house or that street.

As we sat on the couch the memories flashed through my mind like scenes from a television show; like they do in the series finale. I watched as three years flashed before me in seconds and all I could do was smile through my tears and know I had been blessed with some of the best days of my life.
The scenes played before me from beginning to end.
It was quite appropriate that Amanda was the last one with me, seeing as how she was the one who first invited me to 919 North Indiana.

It actually took me a long time and a lot of thinking to remember the first time I met Amanda. It just felt like we had always been friends.

But, I do remember.
One day I had gone to on campus christian student center to speak with the campus minister about dropping out of school. I was in a bad place in my life;unsure of who I was and where I needed to be,and so depressed that I was rarely coherent of my surroundings. I vaguely remember a tall girl with blonde hair who was sitting at the table by herself. She smiled at me and I’m sure that due to the state that I was in that I did not smile back.

Later, that semester I heard that same girl talking to someone about how she slept about 14 hours a day, and, recognizing the "symptom", I thought “Wow, that girl seems depressed.”
Well, that girl was a friend with some friends of mine and we would all hang out as a group on occasion. She and her roommate Cally, and our mutual friend Sarah spent a lot of time together. I remember stopping at the snow cone stand a lot to visit Amanda where she worked that following summer. I was in need of good Christian friends to spend time with.
One evening all of the girls and I got together to watch a movie. We went to our campus minister’s house and hung out. I was so excited to get to spend time with them. But that evening was the extent of the time I would spend with them that summer.

I’m not exactly sure how it came about, but the next year, Amanda and I became better friends. One evening after a devotional at the student center or "Bible Chair", she and I went to Taco Bell together. We were sitting in the drive-thru and were laughing about who knows what, and I said, “I’m glad we’re friends!” And Amanda laughed and said, “Oh! I’m glad we’re friends too!”
That saying stuck and I can’t begin to count how many times we would repeat it.
I spent the majority of the next semester at 919 North Indiana. I practically lived on their couch.

One night I went to the Bible Chair extremely upset about a family issue and had intended on talking to my friend Jake, who at the time was my confidant. He was busy and I’m not sure if I stopped Amanda or if she stopped me, but I told her I needed to talk to someone.
She sat down with me and as I told her what had happened, she began to cry. She was hurting for me.
I’ve told her several times and still believe to this day, that even though I went in there searching for Jake, God had had a better idea in mind and that He gave her to me just at the right time.
She has been my counselor and shoulder to cry on ever since.

At the end of the semester I knew it was time for me to move out of my parents house and on my own and I secretly hoped that I could move into the house. Chelsea, Amanda and I had talked about it but for some strange reason decided it wouldn’t be a good idea.
The boys next door, Jonathan and Tucker, even got in on it and talked to all three of us without the others knowing, trying to convince us that it was a great idea.
With the newspaper in hand one day, I set out to find a one-bedroom apartment. My phone rang and it was Amanda.
She said, “Chelsea and I found a place for you to live!” I replied, “Oh really, where?”
“919 North Indiana!”, they both screamed.
“919 North Indiana? Isn’t that…that’s where you live!” I screamed back.
And the rest is history. That was the easiest move I have ever made.
I moved in that June and was already home. My heart had already resided there, only now, I had my own room and didn’t have to sleep on the couch.
That following summer was filled with so much fun. That’s when everyone moved onto Indiana and we became a family.

I hardly have a memory on that street that doesn’t include Amanda. If I hadn’t had Amanda, I wouldn’t have the rest of the 7, and I am indebted to her for that.

The following year she and I decided to travel to Thailand together for the summer on a mission campaign. I can’t think of another girl that I would have rather gone on that trip with. Once again, Amanda was my sanity. She calmed me through an anxiety attack and put up with my short temper and fits of insanity.

Amanda is an encourager and a comforter. She is a true woman of God and pushes those around her to be better people.

I have so many “Amanda Stories” that I don’t know which ones to tell.
So, instead I’ll just hit the points that make up Amanda.
Amanda is, like mentioned before, an encourager. She can cheer anyone up.
She hates conflict.
She loves to sing, but in all honesty, is a bit tone deaf. But that doesn’t matter. That girl knows every word to every song ever written and will sing those songs in the car or in front of a crowded cafeteria and will smile all the while.
She is a faller-that is, she falls all the time! I cannot begin to tell you how clumsy she is. She once fell off of our front porch, face down in the flower bed.And of course, laughed the whole time.
She is confident in herself and in her God.
She is a peacemaker.
She hates for people to see her cry but will let you cry how ever long you need to.
She is the tie that brought us all together and many times has kept us together.
She, along with the others, has been my stepping stone, rather than a stumbling block.Which is what a true friend should be. And she is, a true friend.
At Senior Sunday at church the week before graduation, a friend of ours got up to speak about what his life at the Bible Chair had taught him. He spoke of many life lessons and I was shocked and flattered when he mentioned that the chair had helped to develop friendships like “Amanda’s and Carrie’s" and that "it was a friendship to be admired".

That last night the images of years past unfolded before me and as Amanda and I sat on the green couch one last time, my heart hurt because I knew that I would no longer share this house with my best friend.
Amanda sat there with me as the tears poured out and she encouraged and comforted me, yet again.

Amanda, I am and will always be, glad that we are friends.

1 comment:

  1. well well well....i don't remember ever reading this one but it IS A GOODY. I'm in my classroom all alone laughing and crying. Cheerio.
    ( and i didn't know the first part about you guys sitting on the couch drinking old, stale wine but I can totally picture that in my head and I LOVE IT!!

    ReplyDelete