Thursday, November 12, 2009

Preface

There were three houses on Indiana Street that were unlike any other. Three houses whose tenants were so different yet in many ways, so alike. These people will be connected forever.
My life on Indiana began in the summer of 2004, with two houses. At that time there were only four of us--Tucker, Jonathan, Amanda and I--923 North Indiana and 919 North Indiana.  Tucker and Jonathan were best friends. They had a bond that to this day still amazes me. Amanda and I had begun our friendship the year before and were at the time just “pretty good friends”.  I don’t think any of us had any idea of the friendship that lay in store.
Amanda, Jonathan and I began to hang out with one another on a regular basis. Nights of karaoke, endless movie watching and the occasional midnight disturbance so Jonathan could borrow a towel followed.
Allison, who lived a few blocks from us was practically a roommate already. She spent almost every night on our old green pull out couch. That is until, 913 North Indiana, the house to the south of us, became available. Allison became an Indiana resident that summer. Emily then joined. She instantly clicked with “us girls” and I personally will always be grateful for those talks and those days she spent my lunch breaks with me.
Eduardo moved in next with the boys after we ALL decided that he should. Not just the two that would be his roommates. 
Chelsea,  Amanda's and my roommate, came home at the end of that summer from her internship to join us.
Then Shambra joined Allison and Emily. There were the boy neighbors, the girl neighbors, and south side. And that completed the family.

The houses were treated as one large house. We came and went as we pleased so often that trails formed  between the three houses
Those three houses have so many stories to be told. Yes, there was drama at times, but overall the good times that we had will always fill my heart with so much joy. Those 8 people, not to mention the many other “honorary” neighbors who came later, will always hold a place in my heart. I know the Lord brought us together. He is our common bond. The one who gives us life and all of it’s many blessings.
 We are all so complex, each having his or her own view, yet so accepting of the other. My life is so much better for having them in it. I am truly a better person because of the love and lessons they shared with me.
And, just like the paths that were worn in the grass between our houses, so is the path that is worn in my heart.
This is our story.

No comments:

Post a Comment